Salzburg 1 hr 30 mins
• large draught beer €3.10 • bottle of house wine €19 • coffee €2.20 • burger and fries €5.20
Belfast City, Birmingham, Bristol, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Glasgow, London Gatwick, London Luton, London Stansted, Manchester, Newcastle
So what's it like?
Beautiful alpine village, perfect for families and beginners
This picturesque, old goldminers' village is set in the stunning Hohe Tauern National Park between the Gastein valley and Zell am See - amongst some of the highest mountains in Austria. A well-kept secret, the pretty alpine village of Rauris is a great destination for families, beginners, and confident beginners that enjoy the long blue runs that Rauris has to offer.
The Hochalm area is ideal for beginners. The nursery slopes are directly by the gondola station allowing easy access to the slopes. On some of the higher beginners slopes you can also take in the breathtaking alpine panoramas of some of the highest mountains in Austria. Taught by efficient and friendly ski instructors you will experience some of the best tuition in the area.
The Kreuzboden and Waldalm areas have well groomed, wide, long red runs, excellent for improving your technique - accessed directly from the village by comfortable chairlifts.
A little known treasure! The black run from the Heimalm to the bottom of the gondola is really something special. There can also be priceless deep snow on unprepared pistes. Waldalm and Kreuzboden slopes give you a fantastic 3.3km run!
Take in the atmosphere with cosy mountain huts, après ski bars and lively umbrella bar. Try:
· Shakesbeer · S Pub · Bellino · Rauriser Stadl · Grimming Keller · Sportalm
· tobogganing (5km) · night tobogganing (2.5km) - Mon & Thurs · sleigh rides indoor tennis and squash · guided snow shoe walks · local style curling · excursions to thermal spa in Bad Gastein · bowling · 35kms of cleared and marked winter hiking trails · paragliding · ice climbing · mountain hut evening with live music
Numerous restaurants offering traditional Austrian specialities, as well as international cuisine. Some to try: · Gusto (once awarded Gault Millau points) · Salzburgerhof s'pfandl · Grimming · Braü · Schüttgut · Sportalm · Andrelwirt
· Shops and supermarket (open Mon-Fri and Sat. am) · Souvenir shops · Banks and cashpoint · Rauris Schnapps distillery and micro-brewery · Alpine wildlife enclosure
One way (arrival) from £24 pp
Return from £44 pp
For children at ski school:
• Children's ski school train - A journey on the 'fun' train.
• Magic carpet (for the very little ones)
• Treasure hunt - Find the pirates' treasure.
• Ski race - The most exciting day of the week.
• Prize giving - Ski awards for everyone.
Special offers for holidays between Dec 2013 to Apr 2014
Kids ski free
• Free lift pass for children born 2008 or later.
• Free child helmet when pre-booking skis & boots.
• Children aged 4-5 yrs can take a trial day or half day lesson with the ski school. Bookable locally from approx €30.