Innsbruck 1 hr 30 mins
• draught beer €3.50 • bottle of house wine €14.60 • coffee €2.20 • burger €5
Glacier High Altitude Guaranteed Snow
glacier resort guaranteed snow
Birmingham, Edinburgh, London Gatwick, London Stansted, Manchester, Newcastle
So what's it like?
Superb area - something for everyone
The beautiful Ziller Valley is home to a number of ski areas totalling 625kms of piste, all on one lift pass. At the head of the valley, Mayrhofen has long earned its place as one of the world's top ski and snowboard resorts, with 2 ski areas - Ahorn and Penken. Between the entrance of the valley and the Hintertux Glacier you'll find a further 4 ski areas providing a tremendous variety of terrain to explore. With a lively nightlife and an attractive Tirolean centre Mayrhofen has everything you'll need for a fantastic ski holiday.
You can also access the Zillertal Ski Area from the resorts of Finkenberg, Zell am Ziller and Mayrhofen Ski Area (see individual resort pages for more information).
Mayrhofen is a particularly good choice if this is your first time on skis. Patient instructors and gentle nursery slopes will ensure you get the most out of your first ski trip and there are a variety of gentle beginner slopes at over 1800m at the top of the Penken mountain.
The Penken, Mayrhofen's intermediate mountain offers red runs galore. The lift pass also covers the blue motorways of Kaltenbach and the scenic tree lined reds of Zell am Ziller, not to mention the Hintertux Glacier. All areas are linked by ski buses or the valley train.
There are tricky routes down the Penken Mountains to Schwendau and through the trees from the Ahorn. The Horberg ski area also offers a number of exciting long runs like the challenging Schafskopf mogul run. Don't miss a run down 'Harakiri' - the steepest pisted black run in Austria.
Decidedly lively with numerous bars and discos open until the small hours. Try: • Ice Bar • Brückenstadl • White Lounge Igloo Bar • Scotland Yard Pub • Mo's • Funky's • Strass Sports Lounge • Apropos • Speak Easy Disco • Schlüssel Alm
· tobogganing · bobsleigh trip (to Igls, near Innsbruck) · ice skating · bowling · paragliding · winter walks · snowmobiling · snow shoe walking · shopping · sleigh rides · squash · indoor tennis · adventure pool centre with slides and sauna area
Fantastic choice for all tastes and budgets • Pizza from approx. €7 • 3-course traditional meal from €20 · Café Tirol · Grill Kuchl · Ländenhof · Zum Griena · Tiroler Stuben · Mama Mia's · Mo's Bar & Grill · Café Traude · Ciaos · Mann's pizzeria
• Range of shops • Post office • Bank/cash machine • Supermarket • 45km of footpaths • Valley steam train
One way (arrival) from £24 pp
Return from £47 pp
The annual Snowbombing festival is held in Mayrhofen and the resort is full of people ready to enjoy a week of partying and skiing. 2013 marks the 10 year anniversary of Snowbombing so expect it to be huge. The festival runs from 30th Mar- 6th Apr, the line up is still to be announced, last year the headliners included Dizzie Rascal, The Vaccines, Example and many more. Headline acts and some bars and clubs in Mayrhofen are restricted to wristband holders only, there is still chance to enjoy a week of partying and skiing in Mayrhofen when it is at its liveliest.
Mayrhofen has a variety of fun winter activities for all the family both on and off the pistes. Family friendly activities include bowling sleigh rides winter walks tobogganing an adventure swimming pool ice skating and snow tubing. Kids' Ski School
Children will have great fun under the care of experienced instructors:
• ski lessons from 4yrs and snowboard lessons from 8yrs
• Dinoland area with magic carpet lifts for young children who are learning to ski
• crèche for 2-4yrs with indoor and outdoor play and activities
• children's ski race and prize giving every Thursday
• children's lunch and supervision available in the children's restaurant followed by an entertainment programme which may include magic tricks Punch & Judy face painting (bookable locally approx. £9 per day)
Special offers for holidays between Dec 2013 to Apr 2014
Kids ski free
• Free lift pass for children born 2008 or later when accompanied by an adult.
• Free ski & boot hire for 1 child (up to & incl. 12 yrs) when 2 adults pre-book the same.
• Free child helmet with pre-booked equipment.